Holy fuck on a stick. I knew this was going to happen.
The announcement of his injury followed the typical pattern:
1. Yesterday morning: He missed a morning skate, but it's no big deal.
2. Later yesterday: He's "day-to-day", but it's nothing significant.
3. This afternoon: He's not playing tonight.
I hate pessimism and taking things too seriously; that's why I try to look on the bright, or at least humorous, side of things on this blog, so I'm not going to freak out.
Here are things that need to happen tonight:
1. Henrik Zetterberg needs to score. Immediately.
2. Dan Cleary needs to produce more offensively. He and Z are on the top line together tonight; they need to light it up. Bertuzzi needs to stay consistent with the defensive pressure. If it's just Z doing all the work tonight on that line, I'm going to be super, duper pissed.
3. I feel good about Leino/Filppula/Williams back together on the 2nd line. I liked seeing these guys together during the game against Chicago last week.
4. So excited to see Darren Helm back finally (couldn't watch the game two days ago because DirecTV v. Versus fucking sucks my life away).
5. Homer, Draper and Maltby are together on the 4th line. In the grand scheme of things, I actually don't mind this, either; these guys have played hard, for the most part, and have produced more than people significantly younger. Draper's goal against Chicago the other night was fantastic.
6. Brett Lebda is back, Derek Meech is out. At this point, who gives a shit?
7. I hope the home crowd energizes Ozzie and that he can make a few stellar saves early enough in the game to set the pace.
I can't believe I'm most nervous about the top line. It's as if everything I've ever known and held true has been thrown askew. It's like finding out I'm adopted, Santa Claus isn't real, and Chris Kunitz actually isn't permanently dressed up as a hobgoblin for Halloween, all at the same time. What the hell?
So, last week, in preparation for the battle royale v. the Blackhawks, I used one of my favorite "get pumped" songs, courtesy of Bonecrusher, to set the tone for the game. I feel we need something different today, something a little less gangsta, but equally as hardcore.
I have just the thing: