06 October 2009

I Love You, Detroit



Time Magazine's cover story this week features the city of Detroit--the story of its ascent, its decline, and now, its rebuilding.

And I just wanted to say:  I love you, Detroit.

During my visit there last February to attend a Wings' game (for Valentine's Day, as that's how my boytoy and I roll), people were so freakin' nice.  There's no way to overstate how friendly Midwesterners are.  We were so pumped to be attending a game at the Joe that we told everyone ever about how we drove eight hours to get there and how excited we were.  People outside Michigan often talk about facts and figures, representative of how sad the unemployment rate is there, how inexpensively you can purchase real estate, and how there's not much left in Detroit proper; however, what I witnessed in my trip to Detroit was a quiet proudness, a proudness that no statistics or unpleasant circumstances can smother.

Last season, Brian and I spent many, many nights at our local Buffalo Wild Wings watching Wings' games as we didn't have access to many of the games from home, which became pretty tumultuous during the Finals, as many of our fellow barflies were Pens' fans (seriously, barroom brawls were thisclose from ensuing).  Oddly enough, we met Wings' fans, traveling on business, on three different occasions, and on two of the occasions, invited them to sit with us.  They were shocked to find fellow Wings' fans so far from Michigan.  Each time, we went through the whole long story of how each of us were Wings' fans, and then we would talk, ad nauseum, about how awesome Michigan is and how we can't wait to go back.  (Well, I can at least say I talked ad nauseum--me + Red Wings + a few beers deep = will annoy the crap out of you by talking forever.)  Michiganders are so down-to-earth and laidback; I love it.

When all people hear is the number of abandoned homes or warehouses that line the streets of Detroit, they miss all the things there are to love about the city.  Downtown.  Greektown.  More specifically, Pegasus Taverna in Greektown.  SNOWFALLS.  The beauty of the waterfront.  How the entire city unites behind a team's playoff run.

59 +/- days till our next big adventure to the Motor City.  And I can't wait.





5 comments:

  1. I hope that you enjoy your trip. I haven't been home since last July. I need to make another trip soon, but having transplanted to the South, I have a rule about that. No visiting relatives in Detroit when there's snow on the ground. (Last time I got stranded on the side of I-275 after flying into a snow storm.)

    And you are the first person I've ever heard describe Michiganders as laid back. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michiganders are pretty laid back. Except the dude who threw his bike at us. He was most assuredly NOT laid back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think people in detroit are so friendly because they are constantly very, very proud of Eminem.

    Just a theory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should clarify my saying Michiganders are "laidback". They come across as far more down-to-earth than stereotypical residents of East Coast cities. They're friendlier. They don't act like assholes.

    That being said, we DID have a bike thrown at us after the Wings' game while we were driving. That's right: WHILE WE WERE DRIVING. I don't know what the guy's problem was, but he literally jumped off his bicycle and slugged it toward the moving car. Ahhh, Detroit. How I miss you so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found the same thing when I was in Wichita for the summer. There was a regular hand-full of loyal Wings fans at the bar for every game, from all over the country. It always amazes me that no matter how far I travel from Hockeytown, I'll never be the only Wingnut in town.
    For your reading pleasure: http://monsterawr.com/?p=336

    ReplyDelete