25 May 2010
TSO's 20 tips to Steve for great success as GM
So, Steve Yzerman is the new GM in Tampa.
As I witnessed a bit on Twitter today there was some, um, mixed reactions. It's a bit sad, sure, but I think in the end we're all in the same boat - it stinks to see him go, but we're happy. We support him. Best wishes, Stevie. We celebrate you.
Along the line of being supportive, we here at TSO would like to offer up Steve some tips on winning favor with the city of Tampa. As you may know, Tampa is a big time retirement city chocked full of retirees. So, Steve, here are TSO's tips to win the favor of Tampa fans and endear yourself to the fanbase (items with an '*' are courtesy of Nat):
1. Make the stadium smell like mothballs.
2. Opening night puck drop done by Matlock.
3. Opening night national anthem courtesy of Angela Lansbury*.
4. All games start at 8 p.m. to accommodate Wheel of Fortune and the early bird special at Denny's.*
5. More specialized team logo merchandise. More specifically, team logo catheters and Hoverounds! (Catheters given away at Fan Appreciation Night.)
6. Move all team-sanctioned activities to local American Legion*
7. Tweak the Toast of Hockeytown concept to "Bingo with the Bolts!"*
8. Make the stadium more accessible to fans by somehow making sure people don't have to walk 15 miles to the stadium. Barefoot. In the snow. Uphill both ways.
9. Christmas charity donations to needy tots involve bundles of Susan B. Anthony dollars and horehound lozenges*
10. New specials in the concession stand involve tapioca, Geritol, and free Polident samples*
11. Intermission entertainment will be live feed of Larry King
12. Ice Girls in old school throwback poodle skirts*
13. Season ticket purchase now includes complimentary burial plot and team logo-embossed casket (logo headstone extra)*
14. Offer free clinics in name pronounciation so they can not refer to Russian players as "Reds" or "them commie bastards"
15. Revamp 3rd jersey to be old school actual sweaters, crocheted by the Red Hat Society*
16. Charity food drives will now accept only self-canned food
17. Give octogenarian Lightning fans a renewed sense of purpose and self-worth by bringing in Chris Chelios to be Steve's right hand man*
18. Rig the Jumbotron to include the Weatherbug application because you need to be aware of post game weather. You know, so you can know whether to ride your Rascal with the top down or not*
19. Onsite orthopedic hip surgeon. This speaks for itself.
20. Turn down that damn music, you hippie sound guy!
So, there you have it. We know Steve knows hockey, so hopefully these tips can provide him some direction in the things he may not know as much about.
Best of luck, Steve!